Save by buying bulk herbs and spices
These plants can give foods great taste with little or no added salt. Used in small amounts, they only add ‘cents’ to the cost of a recipe.
To get the most value:
- • Buy dried herbs and spices in bulk to greatly decrease the cost.
- • Store dried herbs and spices in the freezer or in dark, airtight containers to keep flavor.
- • Grow fresh herbs from seeds in containers on your porch or in a kitchen window.
Dried Herbs and Spices
- Cayenne pepper
- Chili powder
- Curry powder
- Garlic powder
- Ginger, fresh or ground
- Ground black pepper
- Onion powder
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Italian herb mix
These add flavor too:
- Reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Vanilla Extract
- Vegetable oil (like Canola or olive oil)
- Adapted from Eating Well for Less