Reduce the Fat!
Many recipes call for high fat ingredients such as whole milk, cream or cheese. Often, lower fat ingredients can be used in place of their higher fat counterparts without affecting the quality and taste of a recipe. Check out these 8 fantastic substitutions:
- Choose low-fat or non-fat milk instead of whole milk.
- Try low-fat cheese instead of full fat cheese.
- Reduce the amount of cheese used.
- Use egg whites instead of whole eggs (2 egg whites = 1 whole egg)
- Reduce the amount of butter used.
- Choose 80 to 90% lean ground beef instead of regular hamburger.
- Choose lean sources of protein such as fish, poultry, beans and tofu.
- Reduce the amount of meat used in a recipe.
Increase the Fiber!
Choosing whole grain foods instead of refined grains for your recipes is a great way to increase the fiber in your family’s meals. Adding vegetables and fruits is another great tip. You can also try these other ways to increase fiber.
- Choose WHOLE GRAINS instead of white bread
- Eat at least 2 cups of fruits and 2 1/2 cups of vegetables per day
- Check nutrition labels for dietary fiber information