Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Number of Servings: 6
- • 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- • 1 ¼ cups water
- • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- • 1 teaspoon cumin
- • 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- • 1 cup tomato sauce
- • 6 (5-inch) corn tortillas, hard or soft
Food $ense Tip:
Add onion, green pepper, cabbage, tomatoes, shredded cheese, or olives to your tacos for a heartier meal.
Substitutions: Instead of corn tortillas; try baked tortilla chips or rice. Don’t like lentils? Try using canned, drained and rinsed black, kidney or pinto beans!
- Combine lentils, water, and spices in a medium saucepan. Stir to mix.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and lentils are tender. Add more water if needed.
- Stir in tomato sauce and cook for one minute to heat through.
- Spread on tortilla and roll up to form a taco. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Adapted from Iowa State University Spend Smart, Eat Smart
This recipe is high in Protein and Fiber! Click here for the Nutrition Facts. Not sure what to look for? Check out our page on How to Read a Nutrition Label to find out!