Black-Eyed Pea & Ham Soup
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Number of Servings: 4-6
- • 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- • 1 medium onion, chopped
- • 1 clove garlic, chopped
- • 1/2 pound collard greens, chopped
- • 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- • 3 cups water
- • 2 (16 ounce) cans of black-eyed peas, drained
- • 4 ounces ham, diced
- • Salt and pepper (optional)
- • 2 teaspoons vinegar
- Chop onion, garlic and dice ham. Place them in a 3 quart saucepan with oil over medium heat. Stir occasionally until onion is pale gold.
- Wash collard greens. Discard stems and center ribs. Finely chop greens. Add to pan with water and chicken broth. Simmer until collards are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Place half of the drained peas in bowl; mash with a fork. Stir all peas into soup with ham. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in vinegar before serving.
Adapted from Washington State University Extension Food $ense